Becoming a victim of crime is a traumatic event in your life. Whether you are a victim of a violent crime, a family member of a victim, or a victim of some other criminal or juvenile offense, you have experienced a crisis. Learn about common reactions and experiences of crime victims.
In addition to the pain inflicted upon you by the criminal, you may experience further confusion, frustration and heartache in dealing with the criminal justice system. The Maryland Crime Victims’ Resource Center, Inc. (MCVRC) would like to help you by providing you with information, assistance, and support throughout your case proceedings. We help during all phases of the criminal and juvenile justice systems. We can provide you with:
- Assistance with using all victims’ rights that apply to you (Victims’ Rights in the Criminal Justice System), including information on Victim Notification, VINE (VINE fact sheet), and Victim Impact Statements
- A court companion during trial
- Assistance with Financial Issues (Financial Remedies), including Restitution (Restitution Fact Sheet) and Criminal Injuries Compensation
- Legal assistance for victims
- Peer support services, therapeutic counseling and referrals for other related programs and services
- Education, resources and training related to victims’ rights laws